Amazon’s voice assistant, Alexa is one of the most powerful digital assistant that is capable of fetching information and performing tasks even if you are working. There are several ways to interact with Alexa like Tap, Echo, Echo dot, Echo show. Amazon Echo is such a wonderful device to have as it is capable of doing multiple tasks like managing your account and have multiple Apps in it. It even has a Bluetooth speaker in it which can be used to play music, videos and more. Commands to Control Amazon Echo.
Since the introduction of Amazon Alexa by Amazon, Echo has done a fabulous job. With your voice, you can manage the intelligence of Alexa. But the problem arises when instructing the commands to the Alexa. Some commands are pretty simple to instruct but there are many which are new and you might don’t aware off. Day by day there is an increase in the number of commands so we have collected some of the very best commands to control Amazon Echo and other siblings of echo.
Some Basic Alexa Commands
These are some of the basic commands to control and setup Amazon Echo and its siblings Amazon Tap and Amazon Dot with your devices.
1. Asking Alexa for help – “Alexa help”.
2. Muting or Unmuting Alexa – “Alexa mute” or “Alexa unmute”.
3. Pause or Stop Alexa – “Alexa, stop” or, “Alexa, shut up”.
4. Changing the volume have multiple depending on your requirements – “Alexa set volume to 4” or “Alexa louder” or “Alexa turn down/up the volume”.
5. Pairing a Bluetooth Device with Amazon Echo – “Alexa Pair”
6. Disconnecting a Bluetooth Connected Device – “Alexa, disconnect my phone”
7. Connecting an already paired Device to Echo – “Alexa connect my phone” or “Alexa, connect to device_name”.
Some Echo Show Commands
These commands can tell it to show you different things. It is the newest addition to Amazon Alexa.
8. For displaying your calendar – “Alexa, show my calendar”.
9. For particular movie trailers – “Alexa, show me the trailer for movie_name”.
10. Showing the photos – “Alexa, show my photos” or, “Alexa, show me pictures of object_name”.
11. Playing the YouTube videos – “Alexa, show me wildlife videos on YouTube.”
12. For Movie Timings – “Alexa, show me movie showtimes.”
Timings and Dates Related Commands
Need to wake up early, setting up the timer and much more can be done easily with the help of these commands. Even if you are busy doing some stuff you can instruct the Echo to do things like setting the timer, stopping the timer, setting Alarm.
13. Current Time – “Alexa, what’s the time?”
14. Setting up the Timer in Amazon Echo is pretty simple – “Alexa set a timer for 2 minutes”
15. Checking the time on the Timer – “Alexa, how much time is left on my timer”
16. Cancelling the Timer – “Alexa, cancel my timer” or “Alexa, cancel timer”
17. Setting up the Alarm in Echo – “Alexa, set an alarm for 7 AM” or “Alexa, wake me up at 7 AM”
18. Asking the current date – “Alexa, what’s the date?”.
19. Checking the dates – “Alexa, when is [holiday] this year?”.
Media Controlling Commands for Amazon Echo
Most importantly controlling your media is necessary as everyone listens to music, videos. Forwarding the music if not liking without touching the device is most used while playing media is one cool stuff you can get in Echo. Other stuffs like playing music by artist, song of the day and more.
20. Playing the music on Echo – “Alexa, play some music”.
21. Songs by Artist – “Alexa, play music by [artist]”.
22. Playing the song of the Day – “Alexa, play the song of the day”.
23. Playing an audiobook – “Alexa, play [title_name] on Audible,” or “Alexa, read [title_name]” or “Alexa, play the book [title_name].”
24. Resumption of the last played audiobook – “Alexa, resume my book.”
25. Skipping the audiobook chapters – “Alexa, next chapter” or “Alexa, previous chapter.”
26. Music controls – “Alexa, play” or “Alexa, next.”
27. Adding songs to your Music library – “Alexa, add this song.”
Also See: 10 Best Google Chrome Extensions
Calling and Messaging Commands
28. Calling to another Echo user – “Alexa, call [name]”.
29. Answering to an incoming call – “Alexa, answer the call” or “Alexa, answer”.
30. Ending the call – “Alexa, hang up” or “Alexa, end the call.”
31. Messaging another Echo user – “Alexa, message [user_name]” or “Alexa, send [user_name] a message.”
32. Play messages on Echo – “Alexa, play messages.”
To-do and Shopping lists
33. Adding Tasks to Your To-Do List – “Add create website backup to my to-do list”
34. Checking To-Do List – “Alexa, what’s on my to-do list” or “Alexa, read my to-do list”
35. Adding an Item to Your Shopping List – “Alexa, add Cheese to my shopping list”
36. Checking items in Shopping List – “Alexa, what’s on my Shopping List?”
37. Basic mathematics – “Alexa, what’s 10 plus 9” or “Alexa, what’s 6 times 338”.
38. Converting the units – “Alexa, how many [units] are in [units]?
39. Advanced mathematics – “Alexa, 25 factorial”. (Warning: Alexa will list numbers that you didn’t know existed)
Definitions and spelling
40. Get to know the definition of a word – “Alexa, what’s the definition of [word]?”
41. Get to know the spelling of a word – “Alexa, how do you spell [word]?”
42. Getting the Wikipedia information – “Alexa, Wikipedia [subject]”.
43. Asking a general Question – “Alexa, how tall is [person or object name]?”.
44. Translating from English to other Language like Spanish – “Alexa, translate good morning to Spanish”.
45. Translating from other languages to English – “Alexa, translate hola to English”
Location Based Commands
46. Weather of current location – “Alexa, what’s the weather like?”.
47. Find Movies by the nearby location – “Alexa, what movies are playing nearby?”
48. Traffic Details of current location – “Alexa, what’s the traffic like?”
Profiles and user accounts
49. Switching the profiles – “Alexa, switch accounts”.
50. Check which profile is currently active – “Alexa, which profile is this?”.
Also See: 15 Best Amazon Echo Compatible Devices
With the help of these Alexa commands, you can get the most out of your Amazon Assistant devices (Echo, Dot, and Tap). Apart from these commands, there are many other commands which might be helpful. We tried our best to choose best Commands to Control Amazon Echo.
Do comment in the comment section regarding any query related to the given Alexa commands. And do suggest any command you think should be on the list. We would like to hear from you.