In order to ensure seamless travel across the country, especially for the commuters, our Prime Minister Narendra Modi, announced the launch of the One Nation One Card.
During the announcement of this card PM Narendra Modi mentioned in his speech that “This Card runs on ruPay and it will eliminate all your travel-related problems. Many a time we do not have cash change while traveling in metro, bus or train or for toll and parking. To overcome this issue, an automatic fare collection system was launched. Since different players made systems, a card issued in one city did not work in another. Thus, e asked various ministries, departments and even banks to resolve this issue”.
He further mentioned that “Now we have this ‘Made in India’ card. Only a select few countries have this technology of One Nation One Card”.
The One Nation One Card is a National Common Mobility Card which was launched on 4TH March 2019. This card allows its holders to pay all sort of fares like bus fare, a railway fare, metro, toll, charges for parking, shopping as well as allows the holder to withdraw cash.
RuPay powers the One Nation One Card.
About One Nation One Card
One Nation One Card is powered by RuPay, and it can be issued from a bank in the form of a debit, credit, or even prepaid card. This card is supported by the National Common Mobility Card; which is basically a contactless card equivalent to a smart metro card.
Over India, more than 25 banks like SBI, CBI, PNB, etc.; provide this One Nation One Card with the support of National Common Mobility Card (NCMC). Moreover, this One Nation One Card can also be issued from Paytm Payments Bank. The cardholder can use this card for shopping and pay any transportation like bus fares, railway fare, etc. directly; which makes this card very useful especially for the daily passengers.
Durga Shanker Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India; mentioned that the One Nation One Card could be used anywhere within the country in places; like buses, metro, BRT, etc.
The transactions made using the One Nation One Card is supported by “Swagat“; which is an Automatic Fare Collection Gate; and also by “Sweekar” which is Open Loop Automatic Fare Collection System.
Benefits of the One Nation One Card
- The One Nation One Card is beneficial especially for the commuters as it supports features like monthly passes, season tickets, etc.
- Earlier each city had its own card which could be used only within that respective city. The One Nation One Card is applicable anywhere within the nation.
- Most of us do not prefer carrying a lot of cash while traveling. This Card is excellent for such seamless transactions.
- The cardholder can easily debit money using the card.
- The cardholders are entitled to avail a 5% cashback offer; whenever they use the Card at an ATM. They can also avail a 10% cashback offer on using the card at any merchant outlets on abroad travel.
- The cardholders can make transactions at Discover and Diner Clubs International merchants and ATM’s.
Where can the One Nation One Card be used?
The cardholder can use the Card in the following places.
- Suburban Railways
- Merchant Outlets
- Retail Shopping
- Discover and Diner Clubs International merchants and ATM’s.
Current Status of the One Nation One Card
To educate the people about the benefits of using the One Nation One Card; free trails have been issued by the Nation Common Mobility Card Systems across a few Delhi Metro Rail Corporation stations; to facilitate digital fare collection.
Few complaints gates have also been issued by Nation Common Mobility Card Systems across the Delhi stations; few banks have even started issuing the Card to its customers.
Must Read- Best Travel Camera’s
The One Nation One Card will make transactions easier and hassle-free. Since it can be used anywhere within the nation, it makes it much more reliable during travel. The user can visit a nearby bank branch to issue their own One Nation One Card with the support of NCMCS.