Dropbox is one of the most popular services when it comes to cloud storage. In addition to cloud storage, it offers some other useful features like file recovery and versioning. But on first impressions, many complain that it only offers 2GB of storage for free users as compared to say 15GB offered by Google Drive. This is very true. But it also offers a way to upgrade your free dropbox storage to 16GB. This is a strategy they employ to promote advertising through users.
Reasons to consider Dropbox
- Almost all cloud-enabled apps have Dropbox integration. Meaning if an app has cloud feature it most probably supports Dropbox.
- Very convenient and easy to use
- Decent pricing for more storage
- File Update History
With a little bit of effort, you can extend the free storage quota to 16GB. Here’s how
- Sign up to Dropbox if you haven’t. Sign in if you already have a Dropbox account.
- Once you agree to their terms and go through the ‘Getting Started’ instructions, your free storage quota will be extended by 250MB.
- Click on your account icon in the top right corner.
- Go to ‘Settings’.
- Click ‘Account’ tab.
- Look for the section ‘Earn more Storage’. Click ‘Invite a friend’.
- Add email addresses of your friends or your own alternate email ids which are not signed up to Dropbox and click ‘Send’.
- Important: The friends you invite will receive a referral email with a link to Dropbox’s signup page. Only after they sign up and activate the account will the 500MB be added to your total storage. You can keep getting people to sign up until you earn 14GB through referrals. Also if you try to activate multiple accounts via the same device you will be marked ineligible for earning that 500MB of storage.
If this article helped you upgrade the storage of your Dropbox, let us know in the comments section below and share it with your friends.